Vegan Chocolate Mousse
A healthier, egg-free version of chocolate mousse made in 5 minutes.
Here’s the secret-not-so-secret ingredient.
One word, four letters.
Yes, you read right. Tofu.
No, it doesn’t taste bland and gross. If it did, this chocolate mousse recipe wouldn’t make it to this blog.
Only quality stuff, man.
Normally I don’t like using weird ingredients in dessert. I’ve tried, of course. But never successfully. Sweet potato brownies? Been there, done that, and the verdict is no. Avocado brownies? Definitely not. I wonder how people can enjoy traces of bitter avocado in the chocolate.
Black bean brownies? Yeah, no. It’s not as good as everyone seems to advertise online.
But tofu? Well, that’s another story. It works. The key is to use silken tofu, a soft, delicate version that cuts better than butter. It yields the perfect mousse/pudding-like consistency.
It may not seem like it at first: after you blend up the ingredients, the mixture resembles a thick chocolate smoothie rather than a chocolate mousse- but if you let it set up a bit, you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
This recipe isn’t completely healthy – it does contain dark chocolate. But it is healthier than the classic version that calls for raw eggs and heavy cream (not that that’s a bad thing)- and it’s a lot quicker to throw together. Plus, dark chocolate is supposed to be healthier, right?
I also tossed in some raspberries and a pinch of instant espresso, but that’s completely optional. I think I might actually prefer having the fruit served alongside the dessert instead of in it. But you can really play around and flavour it however you’d like.
So take a risk, have some faith and give this recipe a try. Let me know what you think!
Vegan Chocolate Mousse
- 340 g (12 oz) silken tofu* at room temperature
- 170 (6 oz) g chocolate of your choice (I like dark, but milk, or both is fine too!)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) milk, warmed
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or any sweetener you like)**
- 1/4 tsp instant espresso powder (optional)
- handful of raspberries (optional)
- To garnish: raspberries, pistachios, chocolate curls (optional)
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave stirring after every 30 seconds or until smooth/over a double boiler.
- Add all of the ingredients (except the garnish) into a blender and blitz until the mixture is velvety and resembles the likes of a chocolate milkshake.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl or into small cups/jars.
- Chill for 30 minutes to an hour or until it has set; the longer you chill it, the firmer it will get.
- Enjoy cold, plain or with some fresh fruit.