Unbelievable Peanut Butter Recipe

If you make this smooth, creamy homemade peanut butter once, you’ll never go back to the store-bought kind!

homemade peanut butter

Yes. It’s possible. Did you know? I didn’t until pretty recently. I’m a peanut butter-o-holic. I cannot get enough of it. Unfortunately, store-bought peanut butter, like the kind I used to buy, is full of hydrogenated fat- which is basically like an oil that acts like trans fat- which clogs up your arteries and causes all sorts of health problems. It’s also full of emulsifiers, stabilisers and sugar- which can’t be too good for you either.

I’m sure there are varieties of peanut butter available that are almost all-natural, but in Poland, that’s pretty hard to find. I personally LOVE the Marks&Spencer chunky peanut butter- which is like, 90% peanuts. But I wonder what the other 10% is. I decided to make homemade peanut butter because I made some delicious almond butter a while back and it was pretty unbelievable. Peanut butter, on the other hand- amazingly unbelievable. It took five minutes for the peanuts to turn into peanut butter. It was magic in a blender. I’ve made 2 batches in the last 2 weeks- and each batch is like 1.5 cups. It wasn’t like this with the store-bought kind.

Too much of a good thing can be bad. But this peanut butter? It’s purely peanuts. And peanuts are high in proteins and vitamins- so it’s waaay healthier than a commercial brand. Nonetheless, despite its seductive smoothness and rich smell, eat it in moderation. Meaning a couple spoonfuls. Not the entire batch. Trust me- that can happen.

Making peanut butter at home does not compromise the flavour at all; however, I will say that the texture is slightly different. This peanut butter is slightly thinner- something that can easily be changed if you refrigerate it in a shallow container so that it firms up. I honestly don’t mind- I can still use it and spread it the way I always do. I also like to add a teaspoon of salt for some nice flavour. Another optional extra is a little honey for sweetness.

You can use this in place of regular peanut butter any day- my personal favourites? Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, a spoonful of peanut butter and Nutella together- or my ultimate favourite: Peanut butter, banana and Nutella swirl muffins. No butter, no oil- but whole wheat flour, minimal sugar and a whole lot of moistness. The recipe for that is up next week- so stay tuned!

Whether you use this peanut butter in baking, or you eat it by the spoon, you’ll love the simplicity and comfort of making peanut butter at home, and you’ll love the taste.

So here’s what happens:

Voila!

Also, check out the video! I experimented with stop motion animation 🙂

Unbelievable Peanut Butter Recipe
Author: Hot Chocolate Hits
Prep time:
Total time:
Makes 1.5 cups
Ingredients
  • 250 grams (around 9 oz) peanuts, shelled, skinless (honey roasted, plain roasted, plain- you choose)
  • 1 tsp salt to taste (optional)
  • honey (optional)
Instructions
  1. In a good food processor, blitz the peanuts for 5 minutes stirring every now and then for around 5 minutes or until it is at your desired consistency.
  2. Add the extras (honey and salt) and continue whirring combined.

 Don’t forget to check out my almond butter recipe!