Ingredients for Cake:
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon zest
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup buttermilk
1. butter and flour 2 9 inch baking pans, and preheat the oven to 350 F or 180 C.
2. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
2. combine butter, sugar, and vanilla. Beat till pale and fluffy. Add in eggs.
3. Add lemon juice and lemon zest.
5. Alternate with the flour and buttermilk mixture.
6. Divide mixture between the prepared pans, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
7. Poke holes in the cake with a toothpick. Brush the simple syrup (see below) over the cake so that the cakes are moist and juicy.
8. Place 1 of the cakes on a cake board, and then lather 1 cup of lemon curd over the cake. Place the second layer on top, and refrigerate till set.
9. Cover the cake with the mascarpone whipped frosting (see below), top with lemon slices and chill until serving time.
boil 1/2 cup of regular sugar with 1/2 cup water- bring to a boil till sugar dissolves, boil for 5 minutes and stir in 1/4 cup lemon juice. Cool completely.
Mascarpone Whipped Frosting
3/4 cup whipping cream (chilled)
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
few tbsp powdered sugar depending on your taste,
2 tbsp lemon curd.
Whip heavy cream with powdered sugar until it stands up in peaks. Add in mascarpone cheese- beat till well incorporated. Add the lemon curd and beat till everything is combined.