No-Bake Cookies and Cream Bars
In the midst of making decisions concerning the well-being of my future, my hypochondriac tendencies have surfaced and I have diagnosed myself with partial Senioritis. According to Urban Dictionary, this is known as a “crippling disease that strikes high school seniors.” Symptoms include: laziness and a lack of studying and a generally dismissive attitude towards life. In my case, this also includes excessive baking and hysterical laughing triggered by absolutely nothing. I’m overwhelmed to the point where I’m no longer overwhelmed. Does that make sense? Probably not. See? Senioritis.
So humor me for a bit, while I thrust aside college applications, IA’s, my EE (for all you I.B. folk out there), and dream about these no-bake cookies and cream bars. They would have taken me about 15 minutes to put together had I not filmed a video, in which case it took perhaps three hours. More procrastination. But the time was definitely worth it.
The cream cheese adds sort of a cheesecake-y flavor and texture and sets up with the white chocolate nicely. These bars easily portable and would be great for a potluck or bake sale. Like I say in the video, they are the solution to any problem. I don’t think you can go wrong with chocolate, cream cheese, butter, Oreos and more Oreos. This is not a sponsored post, by the way. As if Oreos need any more promotion.
For the crust:
- 24 Oreos (or any other chocolate sandwich cookie)
- 4 Tbsp butter, soft or melted
For the filling:
- 250 g (roughly 8 oz) White chocolate, chopped
- 150 g (roughly 6 oz) Cream cheese, at room temperature
- 12 Oreos, Roughly chopped
For the topping (optional):
- 6 Oreos, roughly chopped
- 100 g (roughly 4 oz) Dark chocolate, melted
To make the crust:
- Combine all the ingredients and add to a food processor. Pulse until smooth (alternatively place the ingredients in a ziplock bag and smash with a rolling pin). If you use solid butter, it might harden quickly- you can add a tbsp of water to soften up the mixture.
- Press onto the bottom of a 9 inch square pan that has been lined with parchment paper and set aside or in the refrigerator to harden.
For the filling:
- Melt the white chocolate either over a double boiler or in the microwave for 15 second increments, stirring in between until smooth.
- Beat the cream cheese and gradually pour in the white chocolate until it forms a smooth mixture.
- Next, fold in the 12 chopped up Oreos.
- Spread the mixture over the Oreo base as evenly as possible.
For the topping:
- Evenly distribute the 6 chopped Oreos over the surface of the white chocolate mixture.
- Chill for 2 hours or until firm.
- Before cutting, drizzle the bars with the melted bittersweet chocolate.