A nutty, chocolatey-hazelnut oat mixture clumped together to form granola which takes less than 20 minutes to make. Almost too good to be healthy.
I’ve never been much of an oatmeal/cereal lover. Come to think of it, I’m not big on breakfast- I usually drink a glass of milk and eat a banana. Keep it simple, ya know? But I know that I definitely do not fancy a bowl of milk and cereal- it always leaves me feeling unsatisfied.
Also, store-bought cereal tends, often times, to be either waaaay to sweet or to nutty and hard. And something might taste healthy but be totally unhealthy- so that’s why I’m not too big on cereal. Please don’t be mad at me.
But granola? I think I like it. I think I love it. Especially the clumps of oats and nuts glued together with golden syrup. Golden syrup is a British sugar syrup that can easily be replaced with honey or maple syrup. I just love its amber colored, sticky texture that holds the oats so well together. Depending on your tolerance for sweetness, you can adjust the golden syrup/maple syrup/honey accordingly.
Simple granola is fine as it is- but with the addition of Nutella, it’s absolutely nuts (haha?)! I encourage you not to scrounge and add a good 1/3 cup if possible- because it really takes the granola to a new level. Also, be careful when baking it because granola can burn fairly quickly, and once it’s burned all you’ll taste is bitter char. Take advantage of how easy this recipe is to put together in relation to others and don’t burn the granola!
As I’ve mentioned, I’m not a morning person. But every so often, especially on weekends, I like to put together a nice little breakfast for myself. So what I love to do is take out a dessert bowl (the fancy glass ones), add a large dollop of creamy greek yogurt, dump on the granola and finally scatter the top with fresh fruit. I recommend strawberries, raspberries or bananas- however, I love adding mangos, kiwis, blueberries- it’s really up to what kind of fruit you like. Nutella goes well with just about anything. Then I clean up, sit down, and savor each bite.
You’ll love this super simple and healthy Nutella granola recipe and definitely won’t mind the nutritional component 😉
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup golden syrup (or honey, or maple syrup)
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup Nutella (or any hazelnut spread you fancy- you can also use peanut butter if you don’t like Nutella)
- 3 cups old fashioned, rolled oats (not the instant kind!)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1/3 cup flaked almonds (optional)
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped hazelnuts (optional)
- preheat the oven to 350 F or 180 C and line a 12×17 inch rectangular baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan over low heat, combine the oil and golden syrup until the mixture thins out slightly.
- Stir in the Nutella- quickly to prevent it from ceasing up.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and stir in the oats and all the nuts.
- Spread the mixture in a even layer approximately 1/2 an inch thick onto the baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and stir to prevent the oats from hardening into one layer- but if you want granola bark instead of clusters, do not stir it and let it harden before breaking into pieces- I often do this if I want a snack on the go or just want to munch on some granola.
- Cool the mixture completely before serving.
- Serve with milk and fresh fruits or with greek yogurt (or plain/vanilla) and fruits- my favorite combo is strawberries, greek yogurt and this very granola.