Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Chocolate Cupcakes
For the cupcakes (makes 30):
1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp instant expresso powder dissolved in 1 tbsp water
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cup shaken buttermilk
1. In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk till incorporated. 2. In another bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Add in the eggs one by one, then the expresso, and the vanilla. Stir to combine
3. Gradually add in the flour mixture, just till incorporated.
4. Pour in the buttermilk and mix.
For the cookie balls:
1 cup + 2tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted softened butter
1/4 cup + 2tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup + 2tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips (can use mini)
1. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine.
2. In another bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Add in the vanilla and eggs.
3. Stir in the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
4. Fold in the chocolate chips. Roll into 24 tbsp sized balls and place onto a dish. Freeze for about an hour till hard to touch.
For the frosting:
3 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 cup unsalted, softened butter
1-2 tbsp milk or heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
1. Sift the sugar.
2. In a bowl, cream the butter with the vanilla, alternating with the sugar and the milk.
Make the cookie dough and freeze.
While the cookie dough is freezing, make the cupcake batter.
Preheat the oven to 350 F or 180 C. Line 2-3 muffin trays with 30 sections.
Scoop even mounds of the cupcake batter about 1/2 way full into each section.
Place a cookie ball into each section of cupcake batter, trying to submerge it as much as you can.
You will have 6 cupcakes extra worth of batter.
Bake the cookie stuffed cupcakes for 25-30 minutes, or until the cupcakes are fully cooked through (a toothpick inserted in the cupcake part comes out clean).
Cool completely, then frost with the vanilla icing, and garnish with a few chocolate chips.